Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ben-Hur and Tracy Andretti

I got home from work today and turned on the TV as I went over some notes for the day. I wasn't really paying attention at first. Then I found Charlie Wilson's War on TV (I love that movie). So I left that on till it ended. After it ended I left it on as the credits rolled through. I continued going over some stuff, then I heard the dialogue for the opening scene of the next movie. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, so I looked up. It was Ben-Hur! On TV in CHINA! Hilarious!

This movie is my Dad's favorite movie of all time! When we were kids and the family got our first VCR, my Dad and Mom each bought a VHS Tape to watch. Mom bought The Way We Were (A Robert Redford love flick). Dad got Ben-Hur. So for the first 6 months of having the new VCR, if Dad was home, we were watching Ben-Hur. My brothers and I can quote almost every line from the movie. Just from repetition! I can't believe it's on in China....and on a local Chinese channel (All in English). It's actually a great movie, swept the awards when it originally came out. Held the most Oscars won, until Titanic. Although Dad is quick to point out that Ben-Hur won all the big ones, Titantic didn't.

"There is rebellion in the wind; it will be crushed." Marsellus

I found something worse than a taxi ride today. The local Rockwell sales engineer Tracy. She drives like an indecisive Zebra crossing a river of Crocs...it just isn't going to end well. I road with her back from lunch today, she feathers the gas and likes to stop in the traffic! (Very dangerous in China!)

When we were done for the day, she offered me a ride back to my hotel. I tried to come up with every excuse I could think of to take a Taxi! She shot them all down. So I had to ride with her. On the way back, I had my window cracked and was holding onto the frame with my hand through the window. We were talking about work, when all of the sudden she decided to close my window! Only problem, I still had my hand in the window!!!! She didn't just tap the close button, she held it down! I said, "Hey! Ouch, ouch, ouch!"

"Oh, so sorry, didn't know your hand was in the window." She stops the car in the middle of the highway to check my hand.

Cars start swirving to miss us, honking horns, barely missing us! I keep trying to persuade her that I'm OK. "It's OK, keep driving!"

Hilarious!

3 comments:

  1. I love reading this blog. I try to check it everyday. I crack up reading your opinions on everything. You should be a writer, reporter or something. Keep up the good work! Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Return?!!

    We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well and live!

    When you first told us that Ben Hur was on TV we thought it would be in Chinese. That would be Hilarious

    ReplyDelete