Thursday, March 5, 2009

Solo Trip To Eat, And Shark Fin Soup

Ni Hao! (Hello)



Tonight I made my first solo trip out for dinner. I went to the same place we went last night. I figured crawl before you walk. I went to the same building and made my way to the third floor. That's where the restaurant is. I walked up to the hostess stand and negotiated a table for one. That took a second, but we worked it out.

Once I was seated the fun began! A team of four people came to my table. They all started talking at once. They all new several words in English, but it ranged from hello to tork. I was just trying to keep up. One guy said tork. I asked, "Fork?" He was off and running. Then the other ones were trying to ask me something...it was very confusing. I made gestures to want to see a menu....I got a beer. (Not a bad way to start) I kept gesturing for eating and a book. Then the guy that disappeared. showed up with a fork. I felt like I was in a Chris Farley movie, "Why are you bringing me a fork?"

Then someone figured out what I wanted and it went a lot smoother from there. I surveyed the menu. They had names in English and numbers next to them. It was great for an American to understand, then you just said the number and pointed. I had a seafood dish that was great! It was suppose to be spicy. (Chinese people, at least in the Shanghai area don't know spicy...warm at best) I also had a side of dumplings (Those things are good!). Then I made my reach out pick. I had for a vegetable, some kind of green stuff in shark fin soup. It was great!

I thought of how many PETA people would be mad...and it made me happy.

It also reminded me of the scene in Romancing the Stone, when Michael Douglas kills the snake.


"God Dam Bush Master."
"Is it deadly?"
"Yeah, but tasty!"

Same thing with the shark fin. Tasted pretty good. Anyone that knows me well, knows I don't care for sharks. It felt good to help rid the ocean of one more! He could have eaten you...you're welcome!

After dinner I headed back to the hotel.

I've posted some pics from around the hotel. These are just random pics...except for the Bosch building. I promise to post some sweet ones this weekend.








No comments:

Post a Comment